McHenry County recently issued the following announcement.
The next election in McHenry County is the March 17, 2020 General Primary Election and we are in need of Election Judges to assist in the processing voters at the 101 Election sites. This is an opportunity to take an active role in democracy by serving your neighbors and community while getting paid for it.
All judges are required to take a three hour training but will get paid $50 for their attendance. Election Day is a long shift (5:00 a.m. to approximately 8:00 p.m.) but each judge is paid $140. And the opportunity to meet new people while serving your community is priceless.
QUALIFICATIONS necessary to be an Election Judge?
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be of good repute and character;
- be able to speak, read and write the English language;
- be skilled in the four fundamental rules of mathematics;
- be of good understanding and capable; and
- NOT be a candidate for any office in the election and not be elected committeeperson.
- To open and close the polls;
- To be responsible for all election materials;
- To ensure that only qualified voters are permitted to vote and that each qualified voter is allowed to vote once and only once;
- To ensure that all votes are cast in secret;
- To give instructions in the method of voting when requested by a voter;
- To give assistance to illiterate and physically disabled voters;
- To maintain order in the polling place throughout the day;
- To tally the vote after the polls are closed and to certify the election results in that precinct.
Original source can be found here.