Crystal Lake Park District issued the following announcement on Feb. 5.
The Crystal Lake Park District has scheduled a Public Input Meeting for the Sterne’s Woods and Fen/Veteran Acres Trail System Improvement Project for Tuesday, February 18 at 7 PM at the Administrative Office, 1 E. Crystal Lake Avenue, Crystal Lake. The purpose of the meeting is to seek ideas, comments and input from users regarding the proposed plans.
The goal of the Sterne’s Woods and Fen/Veteran Acres Trail System Improvement Project is to improve the safety, handicap accessibility, sustainability and user-friendliness of our existing trail system
There are five major components to the project:
- Expand the existing trail system to connect the Veteran Acres pond trail and provide connections to the Ridgefield Trace and the Walkup Avenue Trails.
- Develop four interpretive centers/overlook points along the trail system (Fen View, Moraine View, Prairie View and Pond View Interpretive Centers) that would provide educational signage, benches and trash cans.
- Provide handicap accessibility from the Nature Center Trail Head to the Veteran Acres Pond and from the Sterne’s Fen Trail Head to the Fen View Interpretive Center.
- Identify/name trails and provide trail markers and mapping to clearly depict the length, location and difficulty of each trail.
- Improve trail conditions, particularly in locations where erosion is a problem.
Original source can be found here.